Saturday, August 25, 2012

Allison's Progress

by Allison, via Keith

Allison provided a detailed report of her treatment at M.D. Anderson and the results. I've taken the liberty to break it into several paragraphs to make it easier to read here on the blog. kaw

I am so glad to tell you that Tony and I are HOME and SO MUCH better!

My oncologists tell me that the disease I had was unlike any other in that it was all through my body and was both T-cell and B-cell Lymphoma. Therefore, my treatment was unlike anyone elses'.

I was receiving a myriad of high potency chemotherapy. I don't remember all of the names but some were: High Dose Cytarabine (ARA-C' Cytosine Arabinoside, Cytosar-U) infused over 1 hour every 12 hours;Cytarabine (This has additional DepoCyt);etoposide (vepesid, VP16-123)infuse over 3 hous every 12 hours for 8 doses;Carmustine (BCNU, BiCNU)infuses over 2 hours on 4 spaced days;Mwlphalan (L-PAM, Alkeran); This is SOME of them.

Another I don't remember the name but it had Mustard in it and all I could think was "Mustard Gas".  All of these were covered in Aluminum foil from top to bottom and the nurses were gowned, gloved and masked to protect themselves from the toxins, in the event there was a splash or spill accident; but also to protect me from any germs they might bring in with them--my White cells were .0.

Heavy-dose chemo was important so that my stem-cells could be harvested. (Stem-cells are brand new, newborn cells which have not yet been imprinted with any disease markers or characteristics) Then more chemo to wipe out all cells in the bone marrow so that my harvested stem-cells could be re-infused into my system.

My white blood cells were often .0 / platelets less than 9 /and Hemoglobin 7,  So there was a steady stream of Chemo, Blood, platelets. White cells were encouraged to grow with injections into the abdomen of Filgrastim (Neupogen).  As all of these things destroyed my system to eventually make me better, they infused Amoxicillin/Potassium CLA Vulanate;Klor-Kon to replace Potasssium;Magnesium by mouth, my IV, etc.

In the meantime I was taking pain medicine and several other antibiotics like Cipro and other and anti-virals like Valacycovar.All these medicines were fighting against my body and despite being given replacement Potassium and Magnesium I was losing it via diarrhea as fast as they gave it.

All of this created the perfect storm which caused my perfect heart to arrest.  Also, I was attempting to suction myself to bring up some really thick mucous.  As I couldn't breathe I dropped the catheter and Tony handed it to the nurse to get a clean one--which she said she would just as soon as she hung my antibiotics and chemo.

Tony turned around to see me stop breathing and fall backward.  He called to the nurse who (This was told to me: jumped on me and began beating on my chest and yelling for help. Like magic about 20-people arrived.  They de-fibrillated me twice to get my heart started--Tony says when you see this on TV and you see the bofy jerk--it's not the same.  He said I flew up into the air and slammed back onto the bed.)

 Well, the next thing I heard was a doctor telling me, "Allison, we have to shock you two more times."  I said, "Wait, take my rings and watch"--they gave them to Tony, who was there. I didn't know anymore about it.

They cardio-verted me once to get my heart out of V-Tach and int A-fib. Another time to get me out of A-Fib to Normal Sinus Rythm.  Tony texted our Houston boys and Jason was there in time to see the last two shocks.  They had moved me to the emergency room by then.

Chemo types were not given just once; but several times over the course of treatment to get the disease under control and the bone marrow depleted enough of cells so that
It's an amazing procedure.  They chose to use my own cells because the procedure is not as hard on me and because if a problem developed I could have another stem-cell transplant from a donor.  I have two sisters standing by and ready to help--hopefully, they won't have to.

I had the Stem-Cell Transplant on July 13. The Cardiac arrest was on 7/20. My body has been BEAT UP and I was very sick.

Thank God He put Tony into my life.  He stayed with me (leaving only to potty and feed the puppies).  As all of you prayed for me, HE prayed for me, encouraged me, begged me to live.

My esophogus was burned from one end to the other and anything that went in there came out immediately--plus the sluffing off burned tissue.

He cleaned, bathed, creamed and diapered me.  He coaxed me to try to walk, to try to sit in a chair.  He pushed me via wheelchair everywhere I went and encouraged my use of a cane.  If we had any distance to go he used the wheelchair because he said it was to painful for him to walk slow enough to keep up with me!

Two weeks ago, I quit using the wheelchair! Last Sunday, I quit using the cane and bought a wig. For the last 3 days, I have not used a cane!  I walk slow; but steady.

My Oncologists and the cardiologist tell me that people they've seen who have gone through all that I have "...don't walk and they don't talk in full sentences!"

I stop right there and Praise our Great God and remind them that I have SO MANY PRAYERS going up for me!  There is no other explanation.

Love to ALL of you: Family, Friends and people I don't even know who have prayed and are praying for me.  You were constant in prayer--and I am here.

God bless you all,
Allison
Jesus Christ!
The SAME!
Yesterday, Today and Forever
Hebrews 13:8



No comments:

Post a Comment