Thursday, October 22, 2009

Computer Talk: Chrome

Last night I read a 30-page description, written in comic book style, of the browser by Google, called Chrome. It sounded as if it had lots to offer, including increased speed, so I thought I'd load it onto my computer and try it.

I like it! You might, also.

The browser is the program on your computer which you use to browse the web. Most use Internet Explorer, because that is what comes on just about every non-Mac computer produced.

Some, including me, use Firefox. For one reason, not using Internet Explorer, a Microsoft product, is one part of my little protest against Microsoft.

I'm not an enemy of Bill Gates, mind you. He has created a company whose success must be admired. And he does great things with his and Warren Buffet's money.

I'm protesting the company's products! They don't work as they should. They break. They need frequent upgrading to get rid of problems. Anyway, enough of that.

Google Chrome is simple in appearance and operation and complex in what it does. One of the neatest things is that there is only one box into which you type whatever it is you're looking for. If you want to search, type it in the box. If you want to go to a website, type it in the same box. Pretty simple. And it works.

And, based on my limited use of it,it does appear to be faster! This was especially noted while loading the weather radar from Intellicast.

Installing it in your computer is easy. You can do it! And if you check the right box while it is being installed, it will import your bookmarks (favorites) from you current browser.

If you try it and have questions, I'll try to answer them at the Computer Help Sessions beginning December 15. Or if you don't want to wait, email me and I'll see what I can do to help remotely.

To get Chrome, go here: http://www.google.com/chrome

No comments:

Post a Comment