Friday, September 17, 2010

Update on Tom's Health

Here's a note I received from Tom yesterday:

"Greetings!!!! First of all, I would like to thank everyone that sent cards, e-mails, and MOST of all.........PRAYERS!!!! It has been an emotional 6 weeks which included medical tests, doctor consultations, surgery and today's follow-up with my Urologist. We knew going in that the bladder tumor was cancerous and it was removed on Sept. 8th. Today's follow-up was to review the lab tests and determine the next step.

The good news is that the cancer is "Low Grade" and "non-agressive". It did not spread to the large muscle surrounding the bladder. The doctor was happy with the removal (as were we!!!!!).

We talked about various treatment options dealing with the goal of getting this taken care of! Based on the doctors recommendation, I am going to have 6 "medication" treatments (1 per week for 6 weeks, starting in two weeks) directly into the bladder. This is not chemo, it's a medication that must remain in the bladder for at least two hours before exiting. At the end of that these treatments (in the doctors office) we will wait another 6 weeks and see how things worked. We are very optimistic!

Please keep Dee and I in your prayers..................that's the most powerful medicine!

I am out and around, so I hope to see all of you in the near future.

TC"

While I take this as generally good news, I must remember that cancer is still cancer.

I had a professor once who often referred to "the fondest-dream theory." Let's hope that it applies in this case.