Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's Over With ---Mostly

by Keith, from St. Mary's Hospital, Rochester, MN

Nearly 48 hours ago, the surgeons were nearly finished repairing my large hiatal hernia. At lest 1/3 of my stomach was up in my chest. Some of you are well aware that in January, I made two trips to the ER because the stomach "got twisted" and refused to empty.

The procedure included pulling the stomach back down into the abdomen, closing the hernia (enlarged hole in the diaphragm), and wrapping the top part of the stomach around the lower end of the esophagus to prevent recurrence minimize heart burn.

According to my surgeon, there were no surprises and everything went fine.

There is a good possibility that I will go home tomorrow.

Had representative Weiner not tainted the market for pictures of bare chests, I'd be tempted to send a photo of my eight-inch scar.


Here's one I just received:

"So happy to hear that your surgery was successful and that you are on the road to recovery.  We can share all our "war stories" later this year when we get back to Rockport.  Many of us have seen Marv's shingled backside so I guess we can deal with your "8 inch bare chest" scar without a problem. Get well - follow doctor's orders and once you are fully recovered, have a wonder remainder of summer -- maybe even get in some flying.  Take care blog buddy ~ Dianne and Rick"

And here's an update:

Pat chauffeured me safely home today; got here about 2:30 ---a mere three days after they sewed me up.

First order of business: kiss my bed.

Second order of business: use it!

I don't hurt except when I try to do something, like roll over or cough. I don't feel like doing anything, either. Guess I'll just take it easy.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment