Monday, December 7, 2015

wildernessoaks.us Domain Set To Expire

Domain Names


A "domain name" is the name of a website and the "address" to which one goes when looking for a site. In the case of this website, the domain name is "wildernessoaks.us".

The right to use a domain name must be purchased. The price varies, depending on whether it is a  .com, .us, .info, .edu, etc., domain. These days, the prices usually start at about $13/year and go up from there.

Domain Renewal


wildernessoaks.us will expire in a few weeks. It's price to renew is about $20/year.

The basic question is this: Shall I renew it?

There are other related quesions:

  • Does anyone wish to purchase it? (I have owned it from the beginning and will relinquish it if someone is interested in owning it.)

  • Does anyone really care if this site continues? (For the last month, it has had about 5 visitors each day, which is about half the number of visitors during the same period a year ago.)

  • Is anyone interested in contributing information to make it more current than it has been the last two or three years?

  • Other.


Reason for Its Existence


This website was created in 2007 or earlier. My goal was to have it be an on-line "daily newspaper" for the guests at Rockport 35 RV Park. You can see some of the early articles here:

http://rockport-rv35.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00:00:00-06:00&max-results=15

At that time, Pat and I were guests on Site 80. I did most of the writing and served as the webmaster. I also hosted the site on server space I rented.

Later, Dianne Carlson took an active part and provided lots of articles and pictures. That helped improve interest and lessened the load for me. I appreciated her efforts, believe me!

Now, we spend the Winters in Mission, TX, —200 miles from the park of interest. That's a bit too far to be up-to-date on the local happenings. The breadth and timeliness of the content of the site has suffered because of this distance.

Action Requested


What do YOU think? Please either Comment on the site, or send me an email at kaw@syntheticsaves.com, or phone me at 319 395-7405 (trailer) of 319 389-4011 (cellphone).

I must make a decision in less than 30 days, so if you have a comment or opinion please get it to me soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment