Friday, October 7, 2011

Question---

Earlier this week, I posed this question, a question I have asked several times but have never gotten an answer to:

How do you decide whether to use Seran wrap (or equivalent) or aluminum foil to cover something?

If you're not an engineer, this probably has not been a big issue for you. But for me ---well, you know the story.

I asked for answers, knowing that the Rockport 35 RV Park folks would certainly come through with some. They did!

But when I was posting them, either this website played a horrible trick on me, or I clicked the wrong button. In any event, the entire post was deleted so this is a reconstruction. (Guess which one of those events caused it!)

Here are the responses:

Dianne had this to say:

You are so right, Keith, I’ve never given it a second thought.  Guess it’s just instinct to some extent for women.  Actually, I usually cover leftovers with Saran Wrap that I want Rick to see. This way he can find them easier in the fridge when he wants a little something to munch on when I’m unavailable.  However, foil works best to cover foods I don’t want him to get into, especially desserts – out of sight, out of mind.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Then Rick commented:


Dianne asked me this question. I said use Seran wrap unless you are putting the dish in the oven. I think I got this question right.

I even heard from my buddy out in Oregon. We work together on the Hitchhiker Owners website. (He works, I do the "together" part.) He's a retired fireman. They do the cooking while on duty, so Gary is an expert cook. Leave it to him to come through with a technical answer!


"The answer depends on the food and how you'll reheat it."

Foil

What it's best for: If you're refrigerating something smelly, foil creates a stronger barrier to keep odors in. Just be sure to seal as tightly as possible. Foil is also ideal if you'll be reheating the food in a conventional oven, since it can withstand heat.

Tips for using: It's a good idea to wrap a snug layer of foil around plastic-wrapped foods you plan to freeze (like meat in its unopened packaging), because it keeps out oxygen, which causes freezer burn. Definitely don't use it in the microwave, and never wrap acidic foods, like tomatoes and berries, in foil. The acids react with the aluminum, leaving a harmless but unsightly blue residue.

 Plastic

What it's best for: Acidic foods and other fresh foods, like sandwiches and cut produce.

Tip for using: To keep foods such as apples and avocados from turning brown, press the plastic against any exposed surfaces. And when you're using a dry marinade or spice rub, you can speed up the rate of absorption by snugly wrapping the meat between two sheets of plastic wrap. 

There, now we all know! Aren't you glad I 
asked the question! 




.

No comments:

Post a Comment