Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Welsh and Music

by Keith

We'll start by listening to the Welsh National Anthem, with lyrics in Welsh.

Seeing the words makes the Chinese and Russian languages look relatively simple!



I have always known that the Welsh were know for their singing, especially males singing, but had never heard the national anthem. Google and YouTube to the rescue, again. I believe this all started when the men of each quarry sang together, possibly to pass the time after lunch or on the way to the mine or—well, whenever! Then they probably had competitions which ended with a winner and then, undoubtedly, singing by all the choirs combined.

They love to get about a thousand men together to sing!

While the Welsh genes in my body do not carry the ability to sing, they do carry the ability to enjoy music, especially large choruses of men's voices. In two weeks, we will go to the Corpus Christi Cathedral and hear the US Naval Academy Men's Glee Club. We will enjoy it!

I will admit that the 30 minutes of singing the old hymns during worship at the Come-As-You-Are Worship Center, the songs with which I grew, up has improved my "singing" immensely. Perhaps with another 50 years of practice, I might be able to sing in public!

Happy St. David's Day, friends! Enjoy it and remember your heritage.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment