Monday, July 20, 2009

Forty Years Ago Tonight

Forty years ago tonight, Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. We all watched it and heard it.

We heard it because Collins Radio Company of Cedar Rapids (the company for which I worked 21 years) designed and built the communications radios used on the Apollo mission.

One of the main program managers was in my division. I know Jim and Helen well, as they also go to the same church I do. That big event was 9 years before I joined the company, but according to Jim those were pretty exciting days at what I call "the radio factory."

I've been told that the Collins communications systems were the only systems on the spaceship which were not redundant. How's that for confidence!

Today the company is known as Rockwell Collins, Inc. They continue to build high-quality electronic equipment for airplanes and the military. Just about every business jet in the free world uses "our" radios, as do many airlines. The new Boeing 787 will have lots and lots of "Collins" equipment on board.

It was interesting to work for the acknowledged world leader in electronics for aviation! It took me to far-away lands and enabled me to meet many interesting people.

No comments:

Post a Comment