Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Good Advice

Here's a poem written by my aunt. I'd not seen it before but found it quite appropriate. I hope you enjoy it, too!

Keith

* * * * * * * ** * * ** *

I'm Fine

There’s nothing whatever the matter with me;

I’m just as healthy as I can be.

I have arthritis in both my knees

But I’m awfully well for the shape I’m in.

I think my liver is out of whack;

I have a terrible pain in my back.

My hearing is poor and my eyes are dim,

Most everything seems out of trim.

The way I stagger sure is a crime;

I’m likely to fall most of the time,

But all things considered, I’m feeling fine.


Arch supports for both my feet

Or I wouldn’t be able to walk down the street.

My fingers are ugly, stiff in the joints;

My nails are impossible to keep in points.

Complexion is bad, due to dry skin,

But I’m awfully well for the shape I’m in.


Dentures drive me crazy, I’m restless at night

And in the morning I am a sight.

Memories failing, head’s in a spin,

I’m practically living on aspirin,

But I’m awfully well for the shape I’m in.

Now—the moral is, as the tale we unfold,

That you and me, who are growing old,

It’s better to say, “I’m fine”, with a grin,

Than to tell everyone the shape we are in.


By, Gertrude Austin Detloff



No comments:

Post a Comment