Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Note From Gene Lackore

Winter Texans no doubt remember Gene and Donna Lackore, regular visitors for years—until the past year. Then, the march of Donna's Alzheimer disease prevented them from making the trip. And we missed them!

Here's a note I received from Gene a few days ago:

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know I have to eat my words about Donna. She is now a resident at Good Samaritian Home in Forest City as of Wed. this week.

The girls were pushing hard for my health, I didn't realize what it was doing to me, but already can see they were right.

I haven't been to see her yet but the girls go every day and she's good maybe better than I. It was so hard to let go, makes me feel like I've let her down. I've waited on purpose because she has been so tied to me, that I thought it would let her adjust better. As far as I know she hasn't been upset looking for me and that's what I'd hoped for.

This is a Alzheimer unit on the nursing home with 12 patients. It is only 2 or 3 years old since they built this wing on. It so nice and the staff are just great. We know several who work there and this is where I go to a support group every month. My father was in this nursing home as well as Donna's mother also several other aunts and uncles.

Gene

No comments:

Post a Comment