Thursday, August 1, 2013

Short Summary of Our "Trip of a Lifetime"

by Keith

Pat and I left Cedar Rapids July 24 and returned about midnight on the 31st on a "half a cruise" to Alaska. (We flew up, cruised back.) It'll take some time to get pictures selected and modified and to write interesting stories about each. Therefore, just to get something on here and to let you know we're back, I'll post some facts.

Re-entering the US from Canada, near Skagway, Alaska
Facts:

  1. Airport with the most customer-friendly wi-fi: Cedar Rapids (FREE and no "I AGREE")
  2. Airport with the most un-customer-friendly wi-fi: Chicago's O'Hare (Not free and hoops to jump through.)
  3. Missed the most: music! (I didn't have any loaded on my tablet and there wasn't a music channel on the ship; surprising.)
  4. Missed the least: going to the gym! (I try to go three times each week. The easiest thing in the world would be to not go! But don't they have a gym on the ship? Of course they do! But I was on vacation and I was not going to ruin it by going to the gym!)
  5. Most interesting: the glaciers, I think. It was all new to us so nothing stood out way above everything else.
  6. Biggest surprise: learning about the Klondike gold rush in the late 1800s.  I did not know that the seekers had to walk 47 miles to get to the river. And they had to carry 2000 pounds of supplies while doing it. Thousands of horses lost their lives during the trek. I'm sure lots of people did, too.
  7. Also interesting: seeing and learning about the Alyeska pipeline and panning for gold at Dredge #8.
  8. Worst day: without doubt, the last day, after we arrived at the airport in Vancouver. Ever felt like you were cattle? We did, at the airport in Vancouver. The line was about two hours long.
  9. Most disgusting: seeing our two little cans of salmon thrown in the waste basket because they contained 184 grams instead of only 100 grams! (I could have put them in our checked (25$!) suitcase and there would have been no problem. But of course I don't think like the government or a terrorist so didn't even think of it.
  10. Interesting facts: Apparently, in the US only people under 65 are permitted to make shoe bombs, as people older are not required to remove their shoes. In Canada, terrorists can be any age.
  11. Pat's most significant souvenir: a really bad cold.
  12. Keith's worst souvenir: a really bad cold, which I shared with Pat.
It had been over 14 years since I flew on an airliner. If it is another 14 years before I do it again, it will be just fine with me. TSA rules and airline charges have sucked every bit of fun out of travelling on the airlines.

.

1 comment:

  1. I believe that the departure date was July 18. :)

    ReplyDelete